Friday 31 March 2017

Why I'm Walking: Robin Mann, Songwriter, SA

Many of us know of Robin Mann as a prolific songwriter and skilled guitarist, whose music has added so much to our worship. Yet perhaps you didn't know he also suffers from a debilitating disease. Robin explains why taking up the challenge to walk 26kms won't be a 'walk in the park' for him...

"Dorothy & I have been long-time supporters of Australian Lutheran World Service. 

A cursory look at many of the songs I’ve written or ones that are in the All Together books would indicate that serving others is fundamental to my understanding of the Christian faith.

When I heard of the walk, and raising money for education resources in Kenya, Sudan & Djibouti, I immediately thought ‘I’d like to do this’. Dorothy’s a teacher & we know how important education is. We rich Australians can easily take for granted the resources we have & others struggle to get.

Everything we got … teach us to care for it, teach us to share

There’s also a personal challenge for me.

In 2006 I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. 

Unlike most well-known MS sufferers, I have a very slow version of this chronic disease. Nevertheless, movement & vision are affected so a long walk poses a serious challenge. On the other hand, I may be able to garner more sponsorship from people who want to share this challenge with me & support ALWS.

So, adapting Aub Podlich’s words ‘May the feet of God walk with me’."

To join Robin, Dorothy, and others who want to change the world one step at a time, go to walkmyway.org.au and register now. If you can't walk, why not sponsor a walker like Robin. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment